Friday, September 12, 2008

NPR, Beer, and the glory of God

I like National Public Radio because they have interesting stories sometimes. I also like beer (could use a cold Fat Tire right now). Just listened to a story about beer on NPR where the guest interviewed was talking about lager, yeast, fermentation etc... Apparently, the guest was studying yeast's contribution to the fermentation process in beer to get a more accurate view of...evolution???

Yeast hasn't evolved anymore than beer has evolved. Yeast is programmed to adapt to its surroundings and environment but it doesn't change its basic nature to become something else over a period of time through random chance. Just like beer doesn't happen on accident. It takes a brewmaster who understands science and inserts INTELLIGENT INFORMATION into the process to create a good brew. God created yeast, hops, sugar, water, the brewmaster, and beer for the enjoyment of his people and ultimately for His glory (just ask Luther and Calvin). You shouldn't be allowed to enjoy a good beer if you can't recognize the glory of God in the process of making and enjoying it.

More to come on the theology of beer...

1 comment:

Doug said...

Hey, my brother! Aaron how are you? I was trying to find out what the heck happened to you and found you at this blogspot. I read this article and was thinking. This is the way I feel about a good cup of coffee. Coffee, when brewed correctly, is considered one of the most complex and flavorful beverages known to man. Coffee beans from so many countries and so many regions produce their own flavors and special qualities. Then, you have the level of roast which brings out another tier of complexity. This reminds me of the complexity of the human race and how God has created so many different types of people in order to show his creative genius and to accomplish his global goals. Everytime I sit back and enjoy a rich, fresh cup of coffee, I can't help but be thankful to God. He is so creatively awesome. Which reminds me...we need to get together for some of that coffee sometime soon and catch up on your new church plant. This truly interests me.

Doug Leek